I began wondering what could be the answer to this question during one sunny afternoon while my dog was running around in the backyard. As curious as he is, he keeps on mercilessly chasing these little bees buzzing around the garden. So far he keeps on failing on his quest of eating these tiny bees flying around over his head.
But what could happen if he finally succeeds? Well, I did my research and this is something I would like to share with you today. If you want to know the answer, then please keep on reading below.
Can Dogs Eat Bees?
Fortunately, Dr. Tai Federico of Riverview Animal Hospital said that my lovely dog should just be fine if he ever succeeds with his lifelong mission of eating a stinging creature. He said the dog will be just digesting it like a pack of protein.
But let me get this thing straight!
Though nothing bad could happen, there’s some danger that comes with it. While these tiny creatures are not poisonous, they are highly venomous. They might suffer from relatively mild symptoms of bee sting like swelling and experiencing localized pain.
Dogs often get stung on their faces when they are trying to attack the bees and take note, the sting on your dog’s sensitive nose can absolutely be painful. Some of the dogs can even get stung on their tongue, insides of their mouth or throat while trying to bite the insect.
So what do you think of the question can dogs eat bees? I must say you have to protect them from these stingers as they can be dangerous. The swelling can possibly close the throat of your dog and block his airway.
There can also be a severe allergic reaction that can be the result of several stings. Signs could be difficulty of breathing, general weakness and a large amount of swelling. Dogs will really learn the hard way not to eat bees.
What To Do When Your Dog Get Bee Sting?
So what should you do if your dog gets stung by a bee? You can take these steps to minimize the damage.
- 1Check your four-legged friend and look for the area where he got stung. If the stinger is still present, try to remove it. But you have to be careful, you should not be pinching and pulling out like a splinter as this will only spread the venom into your dog’s system. Use your finger in flicking it out.
- 2Once the stinger has been removed, apply a mixture of water and baking soda to the sting area; this is one of the home remedies for bee stings. It can help neutralize bee venom to minimize the pain, swelling, and itching. You can also wrap an ice in a towel and apply it to the bee sting to minimize pain and swelling
- 3Monitor your dog for any allergic reactions, breathing troubles and other complications. If your dog starts swelling up into a considerable amount, don't hesitate to go to your veterinarian. Observe if your dog becomes lethargic, depressed, uncoordinated or unusually sleepy, all of these symptoms can show an allergic reaction and requires a hasty trip to the doctor.
- 4If your dog has multiple stings, head to the nearest veterinarian as fast as you can. Severe allergic reactions can be life-threatening. Multiple stings will damage your dog’s kidney and might even to death.
One important thing that you should always remember is to always keep calm. Your furry friend can’t be helped if you are not in your right state of mind.
How To Keep Your Dog Safe From Bee Stings?
So for my next backyard adventure with my dog, I have to make sure he will be kept protected. Here are some things on how to be smart when you are outdoors:
- 1Bees spend most of their time out during the hottest times of the day, so I suggest you have playtime with your dog during dusk or dawn as it reduces the risk of your dog chasing bees.
- 2Obviously, you need to avoid bringing your dog on flower gardens or any similar places since the number of bees that are commonly found in these areas.
- 3You may also want to lighten up your perfume and deodorant since it might bring some unwanted guest during your playtime or walk in the park.
Now that you know the answer and the danger come to the question “Can dogs eat bees?” it would only make sense to protect your dog from these buzzing insects. It will absolutely be scary to see your dog get stung by a bee. But during this unfortunate event, your first course is to not panic; just stay calm.
Anyway, I hope this article has helped you enjoy more outdoor play and walks with your dog. If you have any question, don’t hesitate to drop your question below. I’d be glad to hear from you!
Don’t forget to share this article with your friends too!